[UA-discuss] FW: I-D Action: draft-klensin-idna-rfc5891bis-00.txt

nalini.elkins at insidethestack.com nalini.elkins at insidethestack.com
Mon Mar 13 14:46:42 UTC 2017

>> FWIW (and to coin a phrase), I'd consider "www.TRÛMP.com" more of a "pun" than a "confusable".   It's evocative of "Trump" but is visually distinct.

> But of course, you can't actually register TRÛMP.com at all, because upper case characters are not allowed in U-labels.  So you'd have to
> register trûmp.com, and any sensible Latin variant strategy would require that the undecorated Latin characters would be variants of
> decorated Latin characters.

I was only displaying the name upper case to make it show up better.

Of course, it is not just the "decoration" that is of interest.   There are quite a few other characters from other scripts that are confusable possibilities.

It is an interesting problem.   For example, we took one 6 character name of a business which is trademarked & ran it through my algorithm, we came up with over 1 million possible permutations.  This is because you can use more than one character look-alike.

Lest you think that this doesn't happen, we have already found names registered which use more than one confusable.  And, I have only just started my testing.

One of the things that I want to do is to see exactly which "variants" or characters are most often used by potential miscreants.

I call them "miscreants" because it is difficult for me to believe that someone who registers a variation of "mybank.com" or "apple.com" has something good on their mind.

Nalini