[UA-discuss] FW: I-D Action: draft-klensin-idna-rfc5891bis-00.txt

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Mon Mar 13 15:46:52 UTC 2017

On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 03:30:23PM +0000, nalini.elkins at insidethestack.com wrote>
> I wonder.   So, if the problem is hard, then we give up?

I do not believe that the problem is merely "hard".  It is literally
impossible to fix in a general and algorithmic way, if by "fix" you
mean "allow a vastly larger number of code points for registration and
allow users to use things that are intuitive mnemonics for them and
not have collisions".  If you're willing to give up one of those
dimensions, then that's fine; but you might be willing to give up a
different one than someone else.  Large TM Holder Corp will want to
restrict names as much as possible -- ideally only to TM holders.
Individuals might feel differently, and the tussle we have here boils
down to that one.

> One relatively easy suggestion might be that registries, ALL registries, attempt to detect such names.

And do what?  What you're saying is that the people who got into the
zone first win not only what they registered, but everything else that
someone might want to register that could even possibly be mistaken
for it.  For the root zone -- necessarily a global resource -- I am
probably prepared to support such a view.  For other zones, I am less
convinced: why isn't it your problem as a registrant to find these
things (maybe using NaliniAlgo™ ;-) ) and register the ones you find
problematic?

> Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.   I think I have heard you, actually, quote that in some presentation.

Often.  But our problem here is not the definition of "perfect".  It's
the definition of "good".

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com