[UA-discuss] SAC095 - SSAC Advisory on the Use of Emoji in Domain

Mark Svancarek marksv at microsoft.com
Wed May 31 16:51:07 UTC 2017

Your explanation makes sense to me.

-----Original Message-----
From: ua-discuss-bounces at icann.org [mailto:ua-discuss-bounces at icann.org] On Behalf Of Andre Schappo
Sent: Wednesday, May 31, 2017 9:49 AM
To: ua-discuss at icann.org
Subject: Re: [UA-discuss] SAC095 - SSAC Advisory on the Use of Emoji in Domain

> On 31 May 2017, at 16:59, Andrew Sullivan <ajs at anvilwalrusden.com> wrote:
>
> On Wed, May 31, 2017 at 03:49:21PM +0000, Andre Schappo wrote:
>> My standard practice is to make, whenever possible, my links WYSIWYG. I think it a good practice. Sometimes it is not possible because of overly long and complex URLs.
>>

> It's never actually been a recommendation from hypertext people,
> however.  They've always suggested that you should put links liberally
> in running text that is in itself nicely readable.  So,

> as opposed to
>
>    In a previous post, which you can find at <a
>    href="target">target</a>, we discussed UA …
>
> Why do you think it's a good practice?  It makes for very stilted
> text.

User reassurance - knowing the exact address of the website they will visit if they click the link.
Transparency - stating clearly and exactly the address of the website they will visit if they click the link.
User feedback - Users can visually verify that the address of the website they land on after clicking the link is indeed what was stated.

I consider it makes for better security because the address is upfront for visual inspection/examination and not hidden behind some text string/image.

There is much discussion/arguments on IDNs and phishing/spoofing because of, for instance, confusables.

I consider spoofing/phishing is more easily achieved with links hiding behind text/images without going to the effort of employing and registering IDNs containing confusables.

eg <a href="https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2FWeWillStealYourMoney.com&data=02%7C01%7Cmarksv%40microsoft.com%7C579786462f804689d6ed08d4a845192e%7C72f988bf86f141af91ab2d7cd011db47%7C1%7C0%7C636318462118900393&sdata=I3WPZk7CBmK5Jldlr4VCaqySuyk80nHfjEidaFOYajw%3D&reserved=0">the honest and genuine bank<a>

I too used to hide links behind text/images but for about 4/5 years now I have been making links explicit as I consider it better security and better practice. One way in which I retain reading flow is to treat the link as a full stop ie terminating a sentence. Also, one can use links in a similar manner to the way citations are used in academic papers

André Schappo