[UA-discuss] SAC095 - SSAC Advisory on the Use of Emojiin Domain

Asmus Freytag asmusf at ix.netcom.com
Wed May 31 17:52:00 UTC 2017

Just go to any news site, and you'll see that they consistently follow
the scheme that Andrew documents. They have dozens of links in their
articles and it would completely destroy the readability to provide URLs.

I tend to deliberately expose URLs in key situations: where the link is
itself the content. Like I'm pointing out a resource, or giving an entry
in a list of references. Here the focus is on letting people recover
from minor link corruption (allowing them to easily search for part of a
URL in order to try to locate a document that might have moved) or to be
able to use a document even in printed form.

But I regard those as not generally applicable principles so I would
support not making it a goal for the UA effort to establish this kind of
practice.

A./