[UA-discuss] The Open Dot as a label delimiter in Chinese and Japanese

Don Hollander don.hollander at icann.org
Fri Nov 3 00:10:24 UTC 2017

G’day:

The UASG has in the past indicated that good practice is to treat the Open Dot as a label delimiter, just like the traditional full-stop.

The ideographic full stop (U+3002 [。]) is used in languages such as Chinese or Japanese to mark the end of a sentence. UASG004 states “We expect software to transform the ‘open dot’ to a standard ASCII dot “.”, thus making use of the already registered domain name.”

We found that some browsers do this.

As we go through the Linkification review, we’re not seeing this happen for social media communications apps.

Does anyone have reference or even perception to how widely used the Open Dot is in Chinese, Japanese and/or other script?

Don

Don Hollander
Universal Acceptance Steering Group
Skype: don_hollander