[UA-discuss] 答复: The Open Dot as a label delimiter in Chinese and Japanese

Peter Green seekcommunications at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 3 03:16:12 UTC 2017

Hi Don,

To add to Jiankang Yao.

Simply put,  what we aim to achieve is "¡£¡± should be or even must be equivalent to ¡°.¡± in domain names, as is the case with Upper case and Lower case in domain names, e.g. "abc" is equivalent to "ABC" when they are used in domain names; as is the case with Simplified Chinese and Traditional Chinese in domain names, e.g. "Öйú¡±(China) is equivalent to "ÖЇø"  in domian names.

I am not a technical guy.

If anything wrong, please do correct me. @Jiankang Yao<mailto:yaojk at cnnic.cn>

Best Regards

Zuan Zhang

________________________________
·¢¼þÈË: ua-discuss-bounces at icann.org <ua-discuss-bounces at icann.org> ´ú±í Jiankang Yao <yaojk at cnnic.cn>
·¢ËÍʱ¼ä: 2017Äê11ÔÂ3ÈÕ 10:09
ÊÕ¼þÈË: Don Hollander; ua-discuss
Ö÷Ìâ: Re: [UA-discuss] The Open Dot as a label delimiter in Chinese and Japanese

Hello,

In Chinese version of IE,  when the full stop is inputed into IE, it will be automatically turned into ASCII dot.
In Chinese Input Method which helps to input Chinese Character into computer, when you input Chinese character, the  full stop is immediately
followed if you want to finish a sentence.  The Chinese Input Method can not know whether you want to input Chinese sentence or Chinese domain name. If it is Chinese domain name, it should be ASCII dot. If it is Chinese sentence, it should be the full stop. Usually, Chinese Input Method will choose the full stop for chinese characters. If the user want to  input the ASCII dot, he needs to switch to English Input Method. In order to be convenient to users, CNNIC talked with many browsers to push them to support "Chinsed full stop should be automatically turned into ASCII dot in chinese domain name" in address bar of browser. Now almost all browsers with Chinese version support this function.

The browser with English version may not support this function "Chinsed full stop should be automatically turned into ASCII dot in chinese domain name".

ASCII dot between Chinese character is only useful in Chinse Domain Names. Otherwise, the Chinese full dot should be used.

Best Regards.
Jiankang Yao