[UA-discuss] 答复: The Open Dot as a label delimiter in Chinese and Japanese

Andrew Sullivan ajs at crankycanuck.ca
Fri Nov 3 03:58:24 UTC 2017

Hi,

I understand why people want these things, but it is not possible and will
never be possible to treat label separators in quite the way people want.
This is because the label separators don't actually appear in the wire
protocol, but the presentation format of domain names is also a kind of
protocol.

First, upper and lower case _are not_ equivalent in the DNS.  The protocol
makes them match, but the case is supposed to be preserved. You can observe
this on the Internet.

Second, mapping of actually different names (like the different spellings
of China in Han characters) is quite different to the in-protocol match
that the DNS unfortunately did for upper and lower case ASCII.

But most importantly, in the wire format there is no separator character.
Instead, the length of the label indicates the separation. But in zone
files and the like, the separator is there for humans. This is also part of
the protocol, so we can't arbitrarily change it.  Applications can map it,
however. That is not quite the same but it is what idna does generally.

Sent with AquaMail for Android
http://www.aqua-mail.com