[UA-discuss] The Open Dot as a label delimiter in Chinese and Japanese

Jim DeLaHunt jfrom.uasg at jdlh.com
Fri Nov 3 20:16:53 UTC 2017

Don:

 > Does anyone have reference or even perception to how widely used the
Open Dot is in Chinese, Japanese and/or other script?

Sure. Starting references:
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_punctuation#Punctuation_marks>,
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_punctuation#Full_stop>.

In my experience developing publishing software and fonts for high-end
Japanese typography, I can confirm that U+3002 [。] is routine in
Japanese language text.

However.

In English language orthography, the U+002E FULL STOP [.] is used as a
delimiter between fields of structured data, as well as a sentence
ending punctuation.  Consider a phone number like 212.555.1212, or a
date like 3.11.17 . I think it is clearer to understand the U+002E
between labels of a domain name as a delimiter rather than as a
sentence-ending full stop.

In Chinese and Japanese language orthography, what are the marks
conventionally used as delimiters in everyday text?

And,

 > UASG004 states “We expect software to transform the ‘open dot’ to a
standard ASCII dot “.”, thus making use of the already registered domain
name.”

Do we know what the source is for this expectation?  Did it come from
perspectives informed about Chinese and Japanese culture? Did this
perspective show that U+3002 [。] would be preferred as a delimiter
between domain name labels, over U+002E [.] or other punctuation?   Or
did we at UASG make a guess at the Chinese and Japanese perspective?

If we are not confident that U+3002 [。] is preferred as a delimiter by
people in those cultures, I think UASG should consider very carefully
before advocating its use.

Best regards,

               —Jim DeLaHunt, Vancouver, Canada

--
     --Jim DeLaHunt, jdlh at jdlh.com     http://blog.jdlh.com/ (http://jdlh.com/)
       multilingual websites consultant

       355-1027 Davie St, Vancouver BC V6E 4L2, Canada
          Canada mobile +1-604-376-8953