[UA-discuss] Punycode Converters

Asmus Freytag asmusf at ix.netcom.com
Fri Nov 3 20:29:16 UTC 2017

On 11/3/2017 12:53 PM, Jim DeLaHunt wrote:

> Don:
>
> In talking about punycode convertors that "produce bad results", we
> probably have to distinguish between a narrow, technical view of "bad
> results", and a more system-level, user view of "bad results". Which
> did the UASG Workshop discussion refer to?

It's not just the converters in the browsers, it's converters in various
platform libraries as well. Some of those are not even well documented,
so you can't tell, without experimentation, what rules they follow.

In this context, will UASG adopt a position vis-a-vis UTS#46? That
standard attempts to somehow handle both IDNA2003 and IDNA2008 labels. I
haven't looked into to what degree it fails valid IDNA2008 labels, but
it certainly handles many IDNA2003 ones.

Naively, "universal acceptance" would seem to mean you'd want this kind
of permissive handling, but it lands you deep in the morass of emoji
labels, among other things.

A./