[UA-discuss] Punycode Converters

Jim Hague jim at sinodun.com
Tue Nov 7 10:36:35 UTC 2017

On 03/11/2017 16:42, Don Hollander wrote:
> During the UASG Workshop in Abu Dhabi there was a brief discussion about Punycode converters.
>
> 1)	Is anyone aware of any punycode converters (particularly in libraries) that produce bad results?

Andrew has already noted the problem of defining what you are testing.
At this point, I guess that focusing on IDNA2008 and encouraging the
world to move in that direction may make the most sense? Though pointing
at a library and rating its results BAD when the authors have correctly
followed an existing standard would raise some hackles.

> 2)	Is there a test suite that can be used to test Punycode converters?

The UTS#46 test suite at
https://www.unicode.org/Public/idna/latest/IdnaTest.txt is a good start.

> 3)	Would the source of input (typed, cut/paste, input from a data file) make any difference?   This probably has to do with RTL scripts

For me, input from a data file should be preferred. Copy/Paste exposes
you to potential bugs in the host clipboard system, and manual typed
entry is obviously error-prone, especially when you consider an operator
entering data in scripts with which they are unfamiliar.
--
Jim Hague - jim at sinodun.com          Never trust a computer you can't lift.