[UA-discuss] The Open Dot as a label delimiter in Chinese and Japanese

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Tue Nov 7 14:23:23 UTC 2017

On Tue, Nov 07, 2017 at 10:52:53AM +0000, Andre Schappo wrote:

> Just did a search - https://codepoints.net/search?q=full+stop and found several full stops characters used in different scripts.

Many of them aren't actually full stops, however, but contain "full
stop" in their description.  I hope we can agree, for instance, that
U+0589 would be a bad idea to start mapping.  UIs are not going to be
competent at managing the entire list of possible full stops and the
ways those mappings can go wrong, with is why RFC 5895 doesn't
recommend "every full stop should just be mapped to U+002E".

> A few years a go I did raise the issue for URLs of replacing / U+FF0F fullwidth solidus with / Solidus U+002F

But neither of these are permitted in LDH names to begin with.  If
you're making an argument about UIs for URLs, then you need to join
the chorus decrying the state of IRIs (which turned out to be a
terrible thing).  I don't think this SG is anywhere close to being
competent to recommending how to fix that series of terrible, terrible
problems.

> i18n is a well established numeronym. I propose a new numeronym: i15d meaning internationalized. Basically because I am getting fed up with typing internationalised😀

I've seen it used before, but it's not in RFC 6365.  Perhaps a note to
the authors :)

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com