[UA-discuss] Progress on HTML and email...

Mark Svancarek marksv at microsoft.com
Mon Nov 13 05:47:20 UTC 2017

Here’s the applicable portion of the spec:
https://w3c.github.io/html/sec-forms.html#valid-e-mail-address

The assumption is that all local parts are ASCII letters-digits and that IDNs in the domain part should be expressed in punycode.  This is of course doubly broken, because humans can’t really use punycode.

Fixing the local part is a good start and I encourage it.  But if the domain name part continues to prohibit Unicode, it won’t actually help anyone.

Is the plan is to fix the local part in v5.2 now and fix the domain name part in v5.3?