[UA-discuss] Progress on HTML and email...

Chaals McCathie Nevile chaals at yandex.ru
Mon Nov 20 11:47:24 UTC 2017

On Wed, 15 Nov 2017 12:06:40 +0100, Chaals McCathie Nevile
<chaals at yandex.ru> wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Nov 2017 05:04:48 +0100, Richard Merdinger
> <rmerdinger at godaddy.com> wrote:
>

>> +1 on the kudos as well as a hint on where those of us new to the
>> standards relating to the email input type can find details.
>
> Someone else already posted the link, but what is under discussion is
> the defintion of the "email" input type in HTM, with the current draft
> being: >https://w3c.github.io/html/sec-forms.html#email-state-typeemail

For what it is worth, this is listed as "under consideration" by the
Microsoft Edge team -
https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/platform/status/internationalinputtypeemailvalidation/
- where they note that Firefox supports it but other browsers don't.

It seems people can add a vote in favour of (or perhaps against?) a
feature. I doubt that such a random mechanism is as effective as the right
cutomer approaching the right person in the organisation with an
explanation of their requirement, but I believe it is taken into
consideration.

Now, to see if I can move the work forward in the HTML spec...

cheers

Chaals