[UA-discuss] Pending Documents for Publication

Jothan Frakes jothan at jothan.com
Mon Sep 4 08:09:11 UTC 2017

Michele, I agree and I think the concern with developer response is
appropriate, but we really have to be authentic with ourselves as to why
that is.  It is reciprocal to that with ICANN gives.

My experience with developers/developer communities, is that it is
necessary to engage appropriately in their world for results to happen.
While it is improving, we still don't have ICANN presence at developer
conferences like OSCON, WWDC, Etc from ICANN, or if we do, it is a 'meh'
participation, and thus a reciprocal and diminished relevance and ability
to inspire response and action to things ICANN publishes.

I noticed a lot of traction with Mozilla when I put in time with that
community and take the time to inspire, educate, and evangelize the added
value of action.  Otherwise, there are a number of things like security
patches and keeping up with critical standards or other resource spends
take priority.

As the comms and resourcing improves, I hope also that the participation of
ICANN in developer events increases, which will have higher potential for
impact.

-Jothan

Jothan Frakes
Tel: +1.206-355-0230