[UA-discuss] Regular Expression

Don Hollander don.hollander at icann.org
Tue Sep 12 20:43:09 UTC 2017

Thanks Rubens.  Which raises the question as to when the validation takes place.  Before or after a punycode transformation.

And David, thanks for the article.   The UASG has long advocated turning validation off - but very few active practitioners seem willing think outside that box.

> On 13/09/2017, at 8:31 AM, Rubens Kuhl <rubensk at nic.br> wrote:
>

>> On Sep 12, 2017, at 3:44 PM, Don Hollander <don.hollander at icann.org <mailto:don.hollander at icann.org>> wrote:
>>
>> Please note that this is a Geeky post - so carry on if that’s not you.
>>

>> Email validation is an area where many websites fall short as we found in our study on Website UA Readiness (nearing publication)
>>
>> The technologies behind these websites generally use a Regular Expression as their first line of defence against rubbish data.   The issue is that most of these RegExs are overly restrictive.
>>
>> As an appendix to the Website review, we looked at some of the technologies behind the websites to see if there were common denominators for good and bad experiences.
>>
>> One RegEx has stood out as being simple and correct.   I’d like the UASG to consider recommending this in our documentation.   Toward that end, this thread is for discussion.

>> Regular expression check in Javascript. This accepts any Unicode characters, only insisting that the domain must have more than one label and the TLD is 2 characters or longer.
>>
>> Your thoughts?
>
> Single IDN TLDs for some scripts is something being considered for subsequent procedures, so I would think of 1 or more and prevent the same UA challenges previous rounds TLDs are suffering.
>

> Rubens

Don Hollander
Universal Acceptance Steering Group
Skype: don_hollander