[UA-discuss] Human Interest Stories

Andre Schappo A.Schappo at lboro.ac.uk
Mon Apr 2 13:16:19 UTC 2018

I wonder if there is any value in putting IDN/EAI human interest stories on uasg.tech<http://uasg.tech> ? Stories that people can more easily relate to. I like all the IDN/EAI geek stuff but many do not.

About 2 months ago I wrote an internationalised programming challenge which features ADLaM, a script for writing African languages➜ jsfiddle.net/coas/x6cswfba<http://jsfiddle.net/coas/x6cswfba> I wrote this challenge from a mainly Unicode point of view. Then about a week ago I watched https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RExxEz-fioI which explains the human story behind ADLaM. My reaction was: Wow! What an amazing story!

My EAI human interest story is: Most Chinese students I encounter have an adopted English name. Quite some years ago I decided I would adopt a Chinese name. There is story behind my adopted Chinese name. There is a very famous Canadian in China whose English name is Mark Rowswell dashan.com/who-is-dashan.html<http://dashan.com/who-is-dashan.html> One of the reasons he is so well known in China is that his Chinese is perfect. His adopted Chinese name is 大山, which means great or large mountain. Then one day a thought popped into my mind: "大山 has perfect Chinese but my Chinese is really poor, so obviously my adopted Chinese name should be 小山 (little mountain)". It started as a joke but I have kept this name and I do use it. It has served me well over the years as a great ice-breaker with Chinese students. And that is why my DataMail email is 小山@电邮.在线 and my Coremail email is 小山@互联网.网络😁

André Schappo