[UA-discuss] Store domain in Punycode or Unicode?

Chaals Nevile chaals at yandex.ru
Wed Apr 4 17:47:58 UTC 2018

I agree with André on the general principle - if I were building a new
system that is how I would approach the question.

That said, I think Carolyn has recognised the scenario, and accounted for
it.

What you choose to do in your back-end is really a question of where you
want to invest effort.

It is clear the world is moving toward UTF-8 - We recently landed a change
in HTML that would mean the only valid character set for HTML 5.3 is
UTF-8. But there are various steps along the way, much as there are to EAI.

So long as you have anticipated the requirements of developers looking at
content as well as end users, I think Microsoft should feel free to
implement their systems according to their particular needs and goals...

cheers

--
Chaals: Charles (McCathie) Nevile    find more at https://yandex.com
Using Opera's long-abandoned mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/