[UA-discuss] Serbia Proposes Law Changes to Halt Cyrillic’s Decline

Roberto Gaetano roberto_gaetano at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 15 17:29:35 UTC 2018

Hi Dusan.
Just to add to your status report on IDNs, may I say that also for IDN gTLDs the registration numbers are a rounding error and there is no marketing effort.
Actually, I should not generalise but speak only for my Registry, that is Public Interest Registry.
But I have a question. Do you think that this new approach from the Serbian Government could change things? If they really want to favour the use of Cyrillic they must fix the problem of the keyboards and SMS fees. This, in the medium term, could change also the attitude of users about IDN, and force the operators to support IDNs. Or is it a dream?
Given the success of the meeting in Tallinn I am having some exchange of emails with Patrik and John to build on that at the next EuroDIG.
Incidentally, there will be a couple of sessions about IDN at APTLD74 in September, and given the number of people not using latin script there might be some interesting discussions on IDN.
Cheers,
Roberto