[UA-discuss] More from Ram Mohan on ICANN's further commitment to Universal Acceptance

Tex textexin at xencraft.com
Wed Dec 26 23:48:56 UTC 2018

Thanks for the reference to DBOUND. I was unaware of that group.

I can understand that this group being evangelists is not the right team to
solve these problems.
However, noting this is an issue seems also to be less than adequate.

As we advocate for EAI and IDNA we need to point out the cons as well as the
pros. If the cons are substantial obstacles, we should be advocating for
solutions  or workarounds, not just noting them.

When we promote an IDN and note that by the way this opens the door to
multiple malicious IDNs that your users cannot determine belong to you nor
whether your IDN is legitimate, any arguments as to the benefits falls away.

We should advocate for lowering barriers, not just promoting usage. We
should also be advocating safe utilization, not just utilization.

In addition to identifying systems that lack support and advocating
remediation, we should perhaps have a document identifying other limitations
and be seeking their remediation as well.

Tex