[UA-discuss] "the same", was More from Ram Mohan on ICANN's further

John Levine john.levine at standcore.com
Thu Dec 27 01:12:15 UTC 2018

> As we advocate for EAI and IDNA we need to point out the cons as well as the
> pros. If the cons are substantial obstacles, we should be advocating for
> solutions  or workarounds, not just noting them.

I agree that we should point out the problems, but given that every
attempt in the past decade to solve the problem of identifying domain and
web sites as "the same" has failed, what else should this group with its
limited time and technical resources do?

I'm reasonably sure that for nearly any approach anyone here could
suggest, I can tell you who's tried it and why it hasn't worked.  For the
ones I'd miss, Andrew Sullivan can fill in the gaps.

We really need to concentrate on the small set of issues we understand,
and firmly resist mission creep, or in some cases, mission gallop.

Regards,
John Levine, john.levine at standcore.com
Standcore LLC

PS:

> When we promote an IDN and note that by the way this opens the door to
> multiple malicious IDNs that your users cannot determine belong to you nor
> whether your IDN is legitimate, any arguments as to the benefits falls away.

Yes indeed.  Sure hope those green bar certs are good enough.