[UA-discuss] More from Ram Mohan on ICANN's further commitment to Universal Acceptance

Dr. Ajay Data ajay at data.in
Thu Dec 27 04:11:10 UTC 2018

Hello Friends.

Looks like we have wonderful discussion with bit of digression from UASG stuff.

I do not to need to mention UASG scope, as its already there on UASG.TECH website, however I think we have simple to understand UASG boundaries for atleast domain name.

Boundary 1.
All the domain names must be treated equally which includes all ASCII .tld and IDN .tld's and ccTLDs.

Now the question is simple. When global companies  like Amazon or Americanexpress do have 100+ domain names active for respective countries (not necessary local languages served) what stops them to use IDNs too.  The argument of having single domain seems to be not valid and obviously NOT a UA issue.

Having said that both the above companies are not UA ready and that's what we should be really concerned with.

Now to address this UA issue with them there are many ways but one of the ways could be to push them for adoption of IDN and show them new customer base they are missing which can not reach to there website, as those who do not know English can not type English domain names.

One can argue whether it's a UA issue or not but it is certainly going to activate internal UA initiative , as IDNs are adopted in the company.  The similar example we have seen in patrika.bharat ( a media house) and rajasthan.bharat (govt).

Boundary 2:
We are supposed to create awareness about UA issues and help to solve them.

We are spending millions of $s to create document and libraries. Here we are getting into "providing solution" and creating knowledge base. One can argue for these to be the best of the class library/solution or not however is available live on uasg.tech website.

We are providing users multiple help to become UA ready. Great volunteering and paid professional wok has happened to produce superb documents.

If there is No IDN adoption and no EAI visible to Amazon and Americanexpress than they are less likely to even touch there apps for UA and the fact is that globally we have very Little adoption of IDN and EAI.  So the low hanging fruit could be that we push large companies to adopt IDN themselves and which pushes them internally  to become UA ready themselves.

So off course adopting IDN or EAI is not directly  an UA issue but surely helps to push UA agenda within company.  This
 falls in line of the activities where we create awareness and pushcompany to be UA ready. That's the ultimate goal.

So I would support Andre argument for ICANN to adopt IDNs , walk the talk and become UA ready.

Side Note:
Voice search is increasing globally  and people specific to there language are likely to search in there local language where IDN will play major role and ASCII domain name will be of little use.

Thanks.

AD

--
Sent from my Android device with XGenPlus.