[UA-discuss] More from Ram Mohan on ICANN's further commitment to Universal Acceptance

John Levine john.levine at standcore.com
Thu Dec 27 05:02:00 UTC 2018

> Nope.  The IRTF is the Internet Research Task Force, which is a place
> that work that can't actually properly be considered for
> standardization can go.  The real point (IYAM) of the IRTF is to get
> academic researchers to contribute vaguely at the IETF without having
> to geek out.

Right.  It seems to me that finding out whether we understand any scripts
well enough to offer advice on how to create good names and good fuzzy
matches is considerably beyond what we currently know how to do, so the
IRTF is where that sort of thing lives.

IRTF groups are hit and miss.  I ran one about spam which was a complete
failure due to non-overlap of people who were willing to do work and
people who understood the issues.  Some RGs on exotic networking have done
interesting work.

Regards,
John Levine, john.levine at standcore.com
Standcore LLC