[UA-discuss] More from Ram Mohan on ICANN's further commitment to Universal Acceptance

Vittorio Bertola vittorio.bertola at open-xchange.com
Thu Dec 27 12:17:47 UTC 2018

> Il 27 dicembre 2018 alle 5.37 John Levine <john.levine at standcore.com> ha scritto:
>

> > So I would support Andre argument for ICANN to adopt IDNs , walk the talk and become UA ready.
>
> I would suggest being careful what you ask for.
>
> ICANN's web site is in six languages, English, French, Spanish, Russian,
> Arabic, and Chinese.
>
> The French or Spanish version would be ICANN.ONG.  Hey, look, it's
> registered with name servers at APNIC.  Oh, bummer, lame delegation, DNS
> request return REFUSED.
>
> If you look up ICANN.NGO, which is automatically paired with ICANN.ONG,
> it's not lame, but points at a web server at RIPE which returns a default
> web page that says It Works!

In the end, all this discussion sounds like "we should be able to identify resources on the Web by their semantic content, and have identifiers reflect that semantic content"... but I think that I already heard that idea a long time ago.

However, if in the meantime ICANN had a bunch of IDN domains redirecting to www.icann.org, why not? Wouldn't do much good but also wouldn't harm. They could even have a localized domain per each supported language and make it so that you get a different language for the same page depending on the domain you used in the URL - that's mostly a matter of support in the CMS. Then, of course, they would have to make sure that all of that continues to work properly over time.

Ciao,
--

Vittorio Bertola | Head of Policy & Innovation, Open-Xchange
vittorio.bertola at open-xchange.com
Office @ Via Treviso 12, 10144 Torino, Italy