[UA-discuss] [FYI] Two IDN Homograph blog posts from FarsightSecurity

Asmus Freytag asmusf at ix.netcom.com
Sat Dec 29 18:51:13 UTC 2018

I ran an analysis using an early draft of the Root Zone LGR for Latin.

Of the about 270 unique labels distributed across the sample domain
names in the first blog entry posted by Jim, I found that a good 20% or
so are excluded because the Root Zone does not support historic or
purely phonetic code points.

After subtracting those, most of the phishing attempts (except 2) were
based on "random umlaut disease" or "rock-dots". That is, substituting a
random accented letter.

Of these, the most dangerous ones are the ones with the least visible
diacritics (dot below, or dot above, in that order). These can be hard
to detect even to users familiar with accents. The dot below also
happens to clash with URL underlining.

Other accents will fool North American users, but would probably be no
worse in their effects than standard misspellings for most other users
of the Latin script.

The sample included two all-Cyrillic labels, something that wouldn't be
supported in the Root. It's not clear why so few: either the sampled
target domains don't lend themselves to this attack or some of the
possible counter measures (like flagging mixed script labels) are
already having a deterrent effect.

A./

PS: here's the list of code points from the sample data that will not be
supported in the Root Zone:

{0138 0163 0185 01BF 01E5 01F5 0227 022F 0251 0261 027E 043A 1E03 1E05
1E07 1E0B 1E1F 1E23 1E57 1E5B 1E8B 1E93}

0251 is the bowl a and 01BF is the WYNN (looks like a P) used in this
attack:

www.xn--le-m1aa24e.com.               -->        www.ɑƿƿle.com.