[UA-discuss] Another difficulty to overcome ...

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Tue Feb 20 18:18:44 UTC 2018

Hi,

On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 12:54:40AM -0800, Jim DeLaHunt wrote:

>  1. The underlying problem is that the registry (here, .com) permitted
>     registration of a domain name which was confusable with another one. The
>     right place to fight this kind of phishing with confusable characters is at
>     the domain registry level.

I sort of agree with that, but I want to note some cautions.

	1.  It is not possible as a general matter to ensure that nothing
	"confusable" ever gets registered.  We have no control over the
	fonts people are using, or the visual acuity of people, or the
	context in which the label is presented.  All of those have a
	great deal to do with whether people get phished, quite apart from
	the content of the labels.

	2.  The "no-script-mixing" rules that many of us are arguing for
	are also drags on innovation, and in some locales there are good
	reasons to mix scripts.  That tension won't go away just because
	we said so.

	3.  The distinction between identifiers and branding appears to be
	almost totally lost on people, with even the Unicode Technical
	Committee, who recommend against emojis in identifiers, saying
	that they're ok in domain names (contrary to the IDNA2008
	specifications).  I don't have any idea what to do about this,
	because most people don't understand how context-free and
	locale-free identifiers could possibly work reliably.  (That
	includes me.)

	4.  There is no way to make rules for the entire DNS, because it
	is a distributed datbase with distributed authority.

More generally, however, the position, "Use the A-label form" is in
effect the position, "Don't use IDNA."  For the most conspicuous fact
about A-labels is that they're equivalently meaningless to everyone.
That hardly seems like a usability win.

>  3. The people for whom A-labels instead of U-labels

There is nobody for whom A-labels are useful.  A-labels are those
things that have the prefix (xn--) and a punycode-encoded string in
them.  'anvilwalrusden.com' has two labels, neither of which is an
A-label, though they're both LDH-labels.  This is covered in painful
detail in RFC 5890, so I refer the gentle reader to that.

Best regards,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com