[UA-discuss] IANA IDN Tables

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Sun Feb 25 23:39:53 UTC 2018

Hi,

On Sun, Feb 25, 2018 at 11:54:06AM +0000, Andre Schappo wrote:

> Some observations: I will use Verisignʼs Japanese .コム (transliteration of
> .com)
>
> There is .コム Japanese, which is LDH (ASCII Letters, Digits, Hyphen) +
> Hiragana + Katakana + a heap of Han
> There is .コム Hiragana, which is DH + Hiragana
> There is .コム Katakana, which is DH + Katakana
> There is .コム Han, which is DH + a heap of Han

This is because Japanese is written in more than one script.  So to do
"Japanese" you need to use all of them, but you need the other stuff
to be correctly handled so that conflicting variants don't arise.

Those of you who are not familiar with the VIP and root LGR projects
might want to read that material, which I think is linked (it used to
be anyway) from the UA pages.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com