[UA-discuss] IANA IDN Tables

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Mon Feb 26 15:51:27 UTC 2018

On Mon, Feb 26, 2018 at 01:47:56PM +0300, Maxim Alzoba wrote:

> As I understand all IDN tables, which passed 2012 application round
> are to be allowed to use despite any changes in LGR (it was the part of the
> discussion when LGRs were established).

Correct.  But some people are updating in line with LGR tools already
-- particularly when their communities are sensitive to the issues of
general-purpose domains and need conflicting uses of the same script.
This applies (for instance) to Han, certainly Latin and Arabic, and
probably Cyrillic (and maybe even Latin, Cyrillic, and Greek, though I
know of nobody who's been that careful yet).

The previous "variants" approach derived from the JET work made the
distinction between "blocked" and "allocatable" less plain than it is
now, and the inter-writing-system effects of characters is also now
plainer and so easier to represent.  The JET approach worked quite
well for CJK when used in relative isolation, but has limitations when
applied more generally, which is why the new approach was worked out.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com