[UA-discuss] IANA IDN Tables

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Tue Feb 27 17:26:26 UTC 2018

On Tue, Feb 27, 2018 at 04:58:00PM +0000, Mark Svancarek wrote:
> So perhaps the intent is to allow user to select the LGR under which their submission will be approved?

I hesitate to say what someone else's intention is.  But the basic
idea of having different LGRs for the same script but different
language tags is to permit a given label to be evaluated according to
the target use case, while still providing a mechanism to create the
final LGR out of all the code points permitted.

Imagine a script called "Slobbovian", which has two communities of
speakers "Upper Slobbovian" and "Lower Slobbovian".  80% of the
Slobbovian code points are shared, but 10% are used only for one or
the other languages.  Moreover, for every member in the 10%
appropriate to Upper, there is a member of those other 10% appropriate
to Lower.  (This is an artificial example, obviously.)  In this case,
one would expect two LGRs for application purposes: the Upper and the
Lower.  The Upper would have its respective 10% plus the 80% as
"allocatable", and the other 10% as "blocked", with a 1:1
correspondence for variant generation between the first 10% and the
second 10%.  The Lower would have a similar LGR, _mutatis mutandis_.
The overall LGR for the _zone_ permits all the Slobbovian-range code
points, but has different dispositions depending on which language tag
was used in the application for the domain.

I hope that makes a little bit of sense.  If not, I need to write a
longer mail :)

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com