[UA-discuss] IANA IDN Tables

'Andrew Sullivan' ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Tue Feb 27 17:47:53 UTC 2018

On Wed, Feb 28, 2018 at 06:30:36AM +1300, Don Hollander wrote:
> So, below the root level, the applicant needs to not only choose their
> preferred domain name, but also the expected language?

I'm describing the approach being used for the root zone, actually.
AFAIK, the processes for names in gTLDs haven't been settled (full
disclosure: my employer used to lend me to ICANN to work on that
effort, but I'm no longer able to do that).  Think of Arabic script
and the many languages that it supports: many code points that are
Arabic characters would not be appropriate for Arabic-language (or
Urdu, or whatever you like) labels.  Such labels may _still_ generate
variants, but the disposition of the variants (blocked or allocatable)
depends on what hte intention of the label is supposed to be.

Best regards,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com