[UA-discuss] i18n workshop to school students

Andre Schappo A.Schappo at lboro.ac.uk
Thu Jan 4 16:42:37 UTC 2018

On 4 Jan 2018, at 16:10, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at mozilla.com<mailto:stpeter at mozilla.com>> wrote:

On 1/4/18 7:43 AM, Andre Schappo wrote:

In a couple of weeks time I will be giving a participatory i18n workshop
to school students. I did a similar workshop last year and one of the
topics I covered then was IDNs. This year it will be IDNs + EAI.

Good stuff, André! This seems like something that other folks could
emulate. Have you ever written a weblog post about this or shared the
materials (slides etc.)?

Peter

Hi Peter,

Ah! This is the 3rd year I have done this i18n workshop for school students. I have never written them up as weblogs. I will endeavour to do so this year.

I never produce slides for workshops such as this. My usual practice for such workshops is that I will walk into the workshop with an A4 piece of paper with some scribbled notes just to remind myself what I will be doing and the order I will do it in and generally I will change stuff on the fly as I learn what most interests the attendees. I am hoping that the students will be interested in EAI because I am near certain that they will not know it is possible to have non ascii email addresses. Actually, just about everyone I talk with does not know it is possible to have non ascii email addresses.

I am happy to share my experiences with anyone that is interested - by email, or me giving a presentation, or telephone or whatever.

André
🌏 🌍 🌎
André Schappo
https://schappo.blogspot.co.uk