[UA-discuss] presentation of links to users - my current working practice

Andre Schappo A.Schappo at lboro.ac.uk
Sat Jan 6 17:16:44 UTC 2018

Here is my, since this morning, current  practice for presentation of links to users. Most of the following I have been doing for some time but I have not been consistent. I will endeavour to be more consistent but sometimes I will forget to do it.

Here are my current personal rules for presenting links to users

http(s) will be presented without the scheme name nor www (there are a small number of websites that have been setup with only the www prefixed form). I will also, as has been my practice for years, show the real address eg uasg.tech<https://uasg.tech> If it is a really long address which I cannot reasonably fit on say, a presentation slide, I will use ellipsis to indicate there is more eg once.upon/a/time/there/was/a/beautiful/princess/that/…<http://once.upon/a/time/there/was/a/beautiful/princess/that/lived/in/an/ancient/castle/high/in/the/mountains> One thing I will definitely not do is have anything like — " … click here<http://WeAreGoingToStealAllYourMoney.mafia> for more information. "

email addresses I will of course linkify. That has been common practice in many apps for many years and common practice not to present to the user the scheme name mailto: . It is though still a bit difficult to get apps to auto linkify idn email addresses. But one can do it manually quite easily, well sometimes. Very easy with DataMail 邮.电邮.在线<http://xn--ue4a.xn--wny099c.xn--3ds443g>

Other schemes I will present to the user with the scheme name to distinguish them from email and website links eg sftp://store.in.the.street/mine/file.txt

I have given my email sig a makeover to conform with this working practice. If you have time can you please test the email link in my email sig below. I do not know what different mail clients will do with it. I hope that when you click the email link you will see in the email message To: field = my chinese email address 小山@电邮.在线 and in the From: field - 你好小山😜 in your email client/App/webmail. That is what I see and that is what I set it up to do.

Anyone from Apple on this list? There is an issue with OSX High Sierra Mail App. When I add an email link I have to specify "mailto://" rather than "mailto:". That in itself is not the issue but rather it is that Mail then treats the "//" as part of the email address and puts it into the email message To; field. I got round it by editing my mailsignature file and removed the "//". An easy fix would be to allow both "mailto://" and "mailto:" when adding links. Any chance of flagging this problem with the OSX Mail team?

André
🌏 🌍 🌎
André Schappo
小山@电邮.在线<mailto:%E5%B0%8F%E5%B1%B1@%E7%94%B5%E9%82%AE.%E5%9C%A8%E7%BA%BF?Subject=%E4%BD%A0%E5%A5%BD%E5%B0%8F%E5%B1%B1%F0%9F%98%9C>