[UA-discuss] Is there anywhere that lists the number of IDNs registered? Or names registered in IDN TLDs? cc & g?

Asmus Freytag (c) asmusf at ix.netcom.com
Tue Jan 16 17:27:31 UTC 2018

On 1/16/2018 7:58 AM, Vittorio Bertola wrote:

>> Il 16 gennaio 2018 alle 16.23 Asmus Freytag <asmusf at ix.netcom.com> ha
>> scritto:
>>

>> I note:
>>

>> This is something I did expect from the day I first saw that
>> application. The TLD is so long and cumbersome that I've always
>> wondered about the motivation to register it for any other purpose
>> than effectively a stand-lone domain....
>>
> Basically I agree, but I also note that "long and cumbersome" is a
> subjective, cultural evaluation, and for German speakers

like myself

> those words are not as long or cumbersome as they are for everyone else.

but while you could make "Fußbodenschleifmaschinenverleih" (an oft
photographed name on a store front) an IDN, or even a TLD, it would
still be silly to do so.

> The real "cumbersome element" in these and many new TLDs, IMHO, is the
> idea of using full natural language words rather than codes and
> abbreviations; this is something that takes a while to get used to,
> and before you do you will instinctively perceive these TLDs as "weird".

A long word like that is still cumbersome - at some point it becomes
silly to try to access it by typing - when that occurs, the name no
longer need to be descriptive and complete, because you will access it
via search.

In my example, the full name of the business would include the location
or the owners name (or the form of business) to be unique, so now you
have a non-unique but cumbersome handle.

Perhaps there is a reason why
46
	.vermögensberater(financial adviser)

47 	.vermögensberatung(financial advice)

were the only Latin-based IDN TLDs at all in the first round.

Cheers,
A./