[UA-discuss] Technical Constraints to UA & EIA success

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Wed Jun 27 15:26:32 UTC 2018

On Tue, Jun 26, 2018 at 07:42:17PM +0000, Don Hollander wrote:
> Andrew,
>
> We have no issues with tools that will block some (or even all) domain names and email addresses.  We just want to make sure that their blocking criteria is conscious and not accidental because their software rules made assumptions about the nature of all domain names and email addresses.

Right, was just trying to be precise :)

> So, you don't think the issues around shortcomings in IDNA 2008 are technical?

Not really, no.  The protocols appear to work, but they don't all work
the same way, and unfortunately UTR#46 makes that a more or less
permanent condition.  But none of that is really a technical problem.

> And you don't know of any outstanding technical issues pending resolution?

The policy mechanisms that people are working on (within ICANN) are
still under development, and there's a technical component to that,
but I don't think that's a permanent blocker, and there's a mechanism
for continued development.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com