[UA-discuss] Emoji domain names redux

Asmus Freytag asmusf at ix.netcom.com
Fri Mar 2 00:51:15 UTC 2018

On 3/1/2018 4:22 PM, Mark Svancarek via UA-discuss wrote:

> Good clarification.  Rephrasing: UASG does not consider support for
> emojis as domain names to be part of our current scope or charter.
>
> We are driving adoption of standards, and emojis are outside the
> standards.

It's more than that, surely.

We want users to have a seamless experience - and that includes not
being exposed to domain names that are inherently risky.

UASG could do more to help address (and limit) the unavoidable risks
involved.

The article quoted at least gives a nod to some of the problems inherent
in emoji.

There are risks also in many "naive" implementation of IDNs. And these
added risks are unnecessary - they are not caused by enabling useful
IDNs, but by doing it in a way that needlessly increases the attack
surface - for no credible gain in usability.

A./