[UA-discuss] Email addresses and domain names are NON-latin! Now what? (IUC41 tutorial)

Jim DeLaHunt jfrom.uasg at jdlh.com
Thu Mar 8 07:38:50 UTC 2018

UA Colleagues:

I'm about to try for the prize of "most late conference report back
ever". Last October, I taught a tutorial on Universal Acceptance, at the
41st Internationalization and Unicode Conference (IUC41) in Santa Clara,
California. For some reason I didn't get around to posting a link to my
slides here. Then, the Call for Participation for IUC42 gave me a nudge,
and here I am.

The tutorial was, "Email addresses and domain names are NON-latin! Now
what?" The target audience was people who were involved in internet
domain-related business, who were familiar with domain names and email
addresses as ASCII-only, but who weren't familiar with Universal
Acceptance, or Internationalized Domain Names, or Email Address
Internationalization. It had the goal of giving them enough knowledge to
be able to understand the presentations in the regular part of the
conference which followed. As a tutorial, I had 2-3 hours of content,
instead of the usual 30-50 minute time budget of a presentation.

Description of the content:
<http://blog.jdlh.com/en/2018/02/28/universal-acceptance-tutorial-iuc41/>
(as blog post)

Direct link to the slides: <http://go.jdlh.com/iuc41t4t1> (PDF, 8.3MB).

Comments welcome, either direct to me or on this list or on the blog post.

Overall, I think the tutorial went well. The evaluation scores were
positive. I think the content is very relevant to the
Internationalization and Unicode Conference audience. It could also be
adapted for other audiences.

I am proposing this same tutorial for this year's conference, IUC42.

Best regards,
      —Jim DeLaHunt, Vancouver, Canada

--
     --Jim DeLaHunt, jdlh at jdlh.com     http://blog.jdlh.com/ (http://jdlh.com/)
       multilingual websites consultant

       355-1027 Davie St, Vancouver BC V6E 4L2, Canada
          Canada mobile +1-604-376-8953