[UA-discuss] [UA-EAI] Issue needs discussion and closure

Asmus Freytag asmusf at ix.netcom.com
Mon Mar 12 18:35:11 UTC 2018

On 3/12/2018 10:50 AM, Mark Svancarek via UA-discuss wrote:
> Agree that we must always remind folks that EAI is (mainly) not for ICANN people who travel the world and are multilingual and know other multilingual people.  EAI is (mainly) for people who speak only one language, read one language in a single writing system, and communicate only with people who speak/read/communicate with similar people.

I think the number of people who have professional or personal contacts
with people that use different "keyboards" is more than people working
at ICANN.

In my own case, the social media posts in foreign scripts are not the
ones by my professional, but by my personal contacts; they mainly still
use ASCII only e-mail so I don't observe the effect there (yet).

I can't think of any industry where there wouldn't be a need to contact
suppliers across the globe - not all of which may fully operate in an
"International English" environment (other than the transactional language).

So, the multi-script / multi-alphabet case is also a real scenario - you
don't have to invoke hobbyists and dead scripts.

Anything that just allows disconnected 'islands' would only be half a
solution.

A./