[UA-discuss] Issue needs discussion and closure

Chaals Nevile chaals at yandex.ru
Mon Mar 12 23:04:21 UTC 2018

It seems few addressed this bit:

On Sun, 11 Mar 2018 03:49:39 +0100, Ajay Data <ajay at data.in> wrote:

> 3.	Alias ID on MUA:
>
> We already agreed that Downgrading of Alias is good practice and to be
> followed by email servers while communicating with legacy systems ,
> however we have not discussed how Alias will be made available on MUA
> and if there are many Alias, than which will be used for downgrading.

I think it is a bad practice to offer a downgrade to something other than
an old-style ASCII address - and this should be under the hood, with the
user getting some simple extra tag in the interface to note they are
writing to a downgraded address - for example "大口茶人生"
<茶人生@大口。中国> might be downgraded to some ASCII server, and mapped
to "大口茶人生 !!chaals at yandex.ru" <chaals at yandex.ru>.

A more interesting question is whether it would be useful to help
"upgrade" by being able to carry the original address metadata, so a
conversation that had to go through a non-EAI-capable system could be
shifted to a primary address when the system in question is upgraded.

I'm not sure if anyone is going to take that on in practice though. It is
still something of an edge case.

There is some other obvious use of the same metadata, for example in
managing contacts search in mail systems.

cheers

Chaals

--
Chaals: Charles (McCathie) Nevile    find more at https://yandex.com