[UA-discuss] [Reminder] CfP Deadline March [16th] for the 42nd Internationalization & Unicode Conference, Santa Clara, CA - September 10-12, 2018

Jim DeLaHunt jfrom.uasg at jdlh.com
Tue Mar 13 03:19:01 UTC 2018

Hello, everyone:

I just heard from the IUC42 organizers that they have extended the
deadline for the session proposals to the Internationalization and
Unicode Conference until Friday, 16 March 2018.  See the update at
<http://www.unicodeconference.org/call-for-participation.htm>.

FYI, I have proposed three sessions:

 1. a tutorial on "Email addresses and domain names are NON-latin! Now
    what?". This aims to bring someone who doesn't know EAI and IDNs up
    to speed, emphasising breadth of coverage and sacrificing technical
    depth as necessary, preparing them for the presentations in the main
    conference.
 2. a presentation on "Top issues in Universal Acceptance of non-Latin
    email addresses and domain names". This brings the IUC news about
    what issues are most important recently for Universal Acceptance. It
    doesn't try to explain the technical specs and requirements. I will
    be coming to this group for your nominations of which are "top
    issues in UA".
 3. a presentation on "Implementing Email Address Internationalisation
    (EAI) and International Domain Names (IDNs)". This covers the
    technical specs and requirements of EAI and IDNs, but with more
    brevity than a tutorial. I will emphasise depth over breadth. I see
    it as an alternative to #1, if they want UA content in a shorter form.

I think there is still room for other UA proposals, especially something
about practical experience rolling out email systems in non-latin
scripts, e.g. in India.  I would be happy to flood the submission pile
with UA content. Do you have questions? I am happy to share what I know
with anyone who is making an IUC42 proposal.

Best regards,
      —Jim DeLaHunt, Vancouver, Canada

On 2018-03-10 02:39, Don Hollander wrote:
> IUC 42 Conference
>
> Thanks Jim.
>
> Since last year, we’ve developed some additional material, including:
>
>   * Course slides for introduction to UA
>   * Course slides for Introduction to EAI
>
> We’ve also release a first draft for comment on EAI and expect to have
> this finished either this month or next.
>
> We may also see an introduction to EAI Tutorial developed before the
> end of the year.
>
> Don

     --Jim DeLaHunt, jdlh at jdlh.com     http://blog.jdlh.com/ (http://jdlh.com/)
       multilingual websites consultant

       355-1027 Davie St, Vancouver BC V6E 4L2, Canada
          Canada mobile +1-604-376-8953