[UA-discuss] Wording of UASG position on Downgrading [was: Re: Draft Notes - UA at ICANN61 2018-03-22]

Jim DeLaHunt jfrom.uasg at jdlh.com
Wed Mar 21 20:53:38 UTC 2018

Hello, all:

Thank you for the notes from the UASG meeting at ICANN61 sent just now.

I have a question about the wording of the "UASG Position on
Downgrading". I don't intend to dispute the substance of the position. I
do have a hard time understanding the wording used.

    b. The sending system MAY substitute a pre-determined alias in ASCII
    when it ‘owns’ the mailbox and sending part of the email when it
    knows a transit will encounter a non-EAI ready email component.

I get lost after the first word "and".  The rest of the sentence seems
like two partial sentences spliced together.

If I delete the first clause of the "and" condition, the 'owns' clause,
and abbreviate the part about the sending system, it reads:

    The …system… MAY substitute… when… and sending part of the email
    when it knows a transit will encounter a non-EAI ready email component.

I don't understand how to interpret "sending part of the email" as a
condition. I don't know how to pare the second use of "when".

Did we mean,

    b. The sending system MAY substitute a pre-determined alias in ASCII
    when sending part of the email if a) it ‘owns’ the mailbox, b) it
    knows a transit will encounter a non-EAI ready email component.

Also, I don't know if "the mailbox" refers to the destination mailbox,
or the sender mailbox. Also, I don't know what it means for a sender to
"own" the mailbox.  Does it mean, "sending system has reliable current
information about an ASCII-only alternative address for the destination
mailbox"?

I'm sorry to get stuck on this. I imagine there was already effort put
into this wording. Writing clearly and simply is hard!

Best regards,

        —Jim DeLaHunt, Vancouver, Canada

--
     --Jim DeLaHunt, jdlh at jdlh.com     http://blog.jdlh.com/ (http://jdlh.com/)
       multilingual websites consultant

       355-1027 Davie St, Vancouver BC V6E 4L2, Canada
          Canada mobile +1-604-376-8953