[UA-discuss] Sina Weibo 新浪微博 Linkification (was - Draft Notes - UA at ICANN61 2018-03-22)

Andre Schappo A.Schappo at lboro.ac.uk
Fri Mar 23 11:19:32 UTC 2018

Here are the results of my limited tests for Weibo linkification.

Weibo linkifies

http://互联网.中国<http://xn--blq510jgwa.xn--fiqs8s>
http://教师资格证.公司
http://双一牌.网络

but does not linkify

http://牙科設備.中國
http://电邮.在线
http://中国就业网.手机
http://ડાટામેલ.ભારત
http://डाटामेल.भारत
http://දත්තතැපැල.ලංකා
http://இந.இந்தியா
http://ดาต้าเมล.ไทย

You can see my test Weibo post at weibo.com/1873499154/G8JmVzvY3<https://weibo.com/1873499154/G8JmVzvY3>

So, it appears Weibo currently linkifies Chinese character IDNs with TLDs .中国 .公司 or .网络. I have though used a small test set as I do not have time to test hundreds of IDNs, so there may well be other considerations.

Anyone have any info on Weibo policy/practice/plans for linkification?

I consider Weibo linkification of IDNs to be a positive and encouraging step forward

André Schappo