[UA-discuss] SEO tool is getting UA-ready

Seda Akbulut seda.akbulut at icann.org
Tue May 8 07:55:56 UTC 2018

Dear UASG members and UA-Discuss List subscribers,
This is a quick update about a Searching Engine Optimization (SEO) tool's solution regarding Universal Acceptance.
At ICANN Global Support Center, we received an issue logging via https://UASG.TECH  website about a well-known Searching Engine Optimization (SEO) tool, namely MOZ, that does not give as good results for New gTLDs as the legacy TLDs.
MOZ provides "Page Authority" and "Domain Authority" values for any domain name. Page Authority (PA) is a score developed by Moz that predicts how well a specific page will rank on Search Engine Result Pages (SERP). PA scores range from 1 to 100, with higher scores corresponding to a greater ability to rank.
Likewise, in the issue logging we received, many people raised similar questions at MOZ's Q&A forum that for all new gTLDs the value it gives is the minimum, although it scores pretty higher for a website that has the same structure but ends with .com or other legacy TLDs.
I am  including here MOZ's answers to such issues from their website:

  *   https://moz.com/community/q/moz-doesn-t-work-for-dating-and-chat-domain-extensions
  *   https://moz.com/community/q/unable-to-investigate-online-or-company-etc-addresses
  *   https://moz.com/community/q/gtlds-in-open-site-explorer
  *   https://moz.com/community/q/i-am-working-on-a-site-with-a-global-tld-what-are-the-seo-implications
Fortunately, MOZ is aware of the technical limitation of their tool they are using and already started to work on improvements. They have even written a blog about a SEO's Guide to Acquiring New gTLDs (https://moz.com/ugc/an-seos-guide-to-acquiring-new-gtlds).
Based on the issue logging we received, I made some tests and research on MOZ's SEO and website. Then I conveyed this Universal Acceptance issue to MOZ.COM. Within a record time, we received a positive response. They accepted the fact that it is true that their historical link index did not support most of the new gTLDs. This was, unfortunately, a technological limitation of the tool at the time, but the good news is that MOZ has just begun a beta for "new Link Explorer tool". This tool is based on a larger, more robust index that includes support for many New gTLDs.

As an example, in the new index, Domain Authority won't be 1 anymore for New gTLDs. The beta version can generate DA at 53 for a NewgTLD domain name.
MOZ stated that they will continue striving to expand their dataset and TLD support among all aspects of their tools. You can try out Link Explorer now, and see if the new data meets your needs.
Because they are in beta with the Link Explorer tool, there is not much publicity yet about it. As soon as they leave beta, they will launch a broader awareness campaign for all interested parties!
I have received their permission to share this good news within the UA-Discuss Group. For more information please visit their Q&A forum post: https://moz.com/community/q/the-new-link-explorer-which-will-replace-open-site-explorer-is-now-in-beta

Best regards,
Seda Akbulut
Lead Global Support Analyst
ICANN Global Support Team