[UA-discuss] Quick Guide to Right-to-Left scripts

Tex textexin at xencraft.com
Fri Nov 9 00:08:04 UTC 2018

These recommendations are only suitable for a pure Arabic site and
community.

However a global or multilingual site would have difficulties with this.
(Note assume in the following that “example.com” is an Arabic domain.)

a)       Global sites often use international standard codes for example to
identify language, region, etc. So references to en, gb, ar, etc. would not
be usable under these rules. E.g. ar-SA.example.com. If transliterated, they
would not share values used in the rest of the architecture and may add some
confusion as to the ordering of the values similar to the issues with name
ordering etc.

b)      It may not be desirable to transliterate every person, product,
brand name etc. to Arabic to make it usable as an email username or
subdomain value. Suppose a celebrity is promoting a product for a Saudi co.
and they want to offer an email to reach the celebrity along with the
promotional event. He or she is known by their English name. Offering a
transliterated name would increase the likelihood of misspellings as well as
lack of recognition. Or the product recognition- I note call of duty in the
notes in English. Ergo callofduty.example.com might be more useful and even
necessary compared to using the Arabic translation of call of duty.

c)       The article doesn’t address issues with line breaking and/or the
embedding of the usernames and domains in ltr text, which may reorder and
cause ambiguity.

I am sure there are many other issues. This seems like a naïve approach to
the problem, although not an unreasonable first step. But it isn’t suitable
as a standard without further consideration of realworld requirements and
use cases, especially for global communities and architectures.

My 2 cents.

Tex