[UA-discuss] New material on IDNA at the IETF: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-faltstrom-unicode11/?include_text=1

Asmus Freytag asmusf at ix.netcom.com
Fri Oct 5 03:20:09 UTC 2018

> On 10/4/18 8:34 PM, Don Hollander wrote:
>> Does this mean that there are no longer any issues in keeping the
>> Unicode and IDNA 2008  aligned?
> It means that Patrik has written an Internet-Draft. :-) The document
> needs to gain consensus and be approved before we can say that the IETF
> has made a decision.

The draft is written as a response to the IAB removing their objection
to Unicode 7.0.0; this was conditional to an RFC being created that
describes the way forward. As the designated expert, Patrik is working
on fulfilling that condition.

> Furthermore, approval of this document would mean
> that one alignment issue has been solved, but as far as I can see others
> would remain.

Peter, Could you specify which other issues you see here?

There are a a few issues that IETF and Unicode do not quite see
eye-to-eye on, but this document attempts to cover all of them that are
relevant to using the IDNA algorithm for Unicode 7.0.0 to 11.0.0

>> Or does it mean that an exercise is required by the IETF every time
>> there’s a new release from Unicode?
> Not that, by my reading.

Agreed,

A./