[UA-discuss] interesting to note about emoji in mailbox name.

Asmus Freytag asmusf at ix.netcom.com
Thu Apr 11 17:20:27 UTC 2019

On 4/11/2019 12:10 AM, Dr Ajay Data wrote:

>     Some Interesting things to note:
>
>     I am testing with Two working Valid Email Address with heart shape..
>     ❤@data.in and ♥@data.in
>     ( ❤ - xn--qei    and    ♥ - xn--g6h )
>
>     When I receive email from the above ID`s, In mobile devices these
>     above hearts are shown in different red shades.
>
> However If I send email to Gmail / Outlook, they consider this as
> Spam.  Not only spam, Gmail displays the following warning. -
>
> *This message seems dangerous*

I tend to agree with these mail providers.

Emoji have no place is security relevant contexts because their
rendering is far from standardized and unless magnified, they can be
hard to recognize. Also, users have no good idea whether related shapes
might exist or not, so any deviation would be attributed to non-standard
rendering and most likely accepted.

Finally, many emoji involve sequences that may be displayed by some
fall-back means on devices that do not happen to support them. This
makes emoji similar to complex scripts, but that danger is
underappreciated by many people because emoji have an emotional appeal
and appear accessible because the are cute.

*They are dangerous in identifiers.*