[UA-discuss] interesting to note about emoji in mailbox name.

Asmus Freytag asmusf at ix.netcom.com
Thu Apr 11 19:18:38 UTC 2019

On 4/11/2019 11:56 AM, Larry Masinter wrote:

> using ❤@data.in  isn’t much different than using UA-discuss at lCANN.org
> <mailto:UA-discuss at lCANN.org>
>
> It works with copy-paste but is unlikely (with today’s fonts and
> systems) to be transcribed correctly by a live humans.
>
> (Note that that was ua-discuss at Lcann.org <mailto:ua-discuss at Lcann.org>
> above, with a lower-case i.)

The issues with emoji are much worse. All faces/body parts can have
skin-tone variations that you will be hard pressed to reliably tell
apart unless seen side-by-side. And you have no guarantee that such
modifiers are handled reliably on all platforms.

The transcription is not the issue, recognition is. (And ICANN should
have registered the LCANN domain name defensively :) )

A./