[UA-discuss] interesting to note about emoji in mailbox name.

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Thu Apr 11 20:59:13 UTC 2019

You're quite mistaken about this.

Formally, email address mailboxes are exact-match, but local convention can
be anything the administrator wants. It is widely regarded as crazy to do
case-sensitive matching, so for practical purposes ajs and AJS are the same
mailbox. But they don't have to be.

Google has ignored the "." in local-parts forever, but many systems used
them as significant for a long time.

The + convention is supposed to provide a primitive filtering capability,
but many systems didn't implement.

There are basically no rules for local parts. But we can rely on the UTC
guidance that emojis are unsuitable for identifiers.

Andrew Sullivan
Please excuse my clumbsy thums.