[UA-discuss] interesting to note about emoji in mailbox name.

Patrick Patrick Davison patrickdavisons at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 05:51:58 UTC 2019

Work life without emojis sounds boring to me, but I also understand that
there are moments where they are not necessary.

Emoji are not required by design, standard, or convention to be visually
uniform (one code point displayed the same way in all circumstances) or
visually distinguishable (different code points displayed in ways that
permit them to be disambiguated regardless of context). As a result, a user
will be exposed to problems of confusability and accessibility. Different
code points that are rendered the same or one code point that renders
differently to different users will lead to inconsistent results depending
on the display or rendering technology used.

Emoji modifiers and “glue” arrangements allow for a potentially much larger
set of composed multi-codepoint symbols with even greater rendering
variation and potential for ambiguous interpretation. A fundamental
property of the DNS is that it is an exact-match lookup service. For a
given query, either there is a single name that matches or there is no
match. When two domain names are identical in appearance except for
ordinary typographic style variations (which, at present, have no
equivalent for emoji), but have different underlying code points, they
identify two different DNS domains.

It is unrealistic to expect that just because a code point is included in
Unicode, it should be used as part of a domain name.

We must deject usage of them in any part of domain or email address.

Patrick