[UA-discuss] interesting to note about emoji in mailbox name.

Vittorio Bertola vittorio.bertola at open-xchange.com
Mon Apr 15 09:10:07 UTC 2019

> Il 13 aprile 2019 alle 12.28 John Levine <john.levine at standcore.com> ha scritto:
>
> One of the glaring holes in the EAI documents is that there is no
> practical advice on choosing mailbox names.  We have developed
> conventions for ASCII names that LDH are fine, dots and plus signs and
> maybe apostrophes are OK, upper and lower case ASCII are generally
> interchagable, and beyond that you take your chances.  We need
> appropriate guidance for mailbox names.

This is what I was thinking while reading this discussion: is it time to restandardize mailbox names in a more restrictive manner, recognizing de facto practices such as the above? Perhaps with a double layer, i.e. mailbox names that are allowed for the future and mailbox names that were allowed in the past but can only be kept in use for backward compatibility?

I note that there is a lot of "advice" out there (RFCs included) on how to choose a mailbox name, but since it's just advice, many people are still attracted to shiny new stuff and will say "hey, it does not say MUST NOT!".

> The IETF's PRECIS working group has advice on identifiers that would
> be a good place to continue from.  I don't know if the IETF has the
> energy to do that, or if people here could usefully contribute.

I'd be happy to contribute, though I'm not a real expert in the matter. But I would be happy to contribute the boring stuff, e.g. editorial tasks.

Ciao,
--

Vittorio Bertola | Head of Policy & Innovation, Open-Xchange
vittorio.bertola at open-xchange.com
Office @ Via Treviso 12, 10144 Torino, Italy