[UA-discuss] interesting to note about emoji in mailbox name.

John Levine john.levine at standcore.com
Tue Apr 16 19:58:55 UTC 2019

In article <c36e2135-bdc7-7610-0fc2-9071ac8495f1 at ix.netcom.com> you write:
>I think this is intended to cover what I would call "modern, everyday
>general use", or the letters that people learn in school, as opposed to
>arcane, outdated, specialized code points for the same languages and
>scripts that are also in Unicode for use by scholars and other
>specialized and expert users.

Seems reasonable.  I was hoping we could do something like recommend
that mailbox names follow the UTS39 Highly Restrictive profile, with
the additional advice that since these are mailboxes and not domain
names, if the identifier contains confusable characters that the MTA's
mailbox fuzzy match accept all of the confusables as aliases for the
name.  This would imply that you can't have two mailboxes that differ
only in confusables.

I don't know if there's "almost confusables" like various accented
versions of letters, which I would treat as confusables here and
accept as aliases.