[UA-discuss] Enabling factors for UA (was Re: [UA-EAI] [Ext] Re: UA-EAI WG charter)

Mark W. Datysgeld mark at governanceprimer.com
Wed Aug 14 17:04:10 UTC 2019

Everyone,

one trend I am observing here is that we don't particularly have a consensus on what software should be tackled and in what order. I know we conceptually understand what needs to be done, but we don't have that list. We also don't know the split between open and closed source of our targets.

The Measurement and Tech groups should collaborate to make such a list, even if it's a fast and loose one, so that we can look at it and say: "okay, these are the underlying coding languages we want to tackle, these are the libraries that exist, these are the libraries that do not exist, these are the end-user applications that are more relevant to us". At Measurement this has been started to some degree, but not with this focus.

If we know this information, we can then actively challenge ICANN to create a working model in which directed outreach could be done and especially patches for open source software could be ordered. We would be more effective.

I don't mind leading this, but I would defer to the more experienced members of the community who have a deeper inside into this.

Regards,
--
Mark W. Datysgeld from Governance Primer [www.markwd.website]
In partnership with AR-TARC and the Brazilian Association of Software Companies (ABES)